Monday, June 2, 2014

Before I Fall Book Review

Title: Before I Fall
Author: Lauren Oliver
Genre: YA
Rating: 3 out of 5

Why Did I Read? This seemed to be a popular YA book that my students were drawn to. I wanted to know what the hub-bub was about.  I stuck it on my TBR list as part of the RoofBeam Reader Challenge (Happy 5 years this past Saturday!)

Before I FallSummary: Our main character, Samantha/Sam, starts her day with the big high school moment of "Cupid Day" the Friday before Valentine's Day.  We quickly learn how popular Sam is and how her clique of friends seem to be the ones that serve as the "royalty" of the school.  After a party that night, they are in a car crash--except Sam doesn't die she just lives that day over and over.  She tries to figure out how to end the repeat, and fix the world around her in the process.

What Did I Love:
  • Read by Sarah Drew--I was so excited to hear her voice on the audio recording.  She is currently one of the doctors on the Grey's Anatomy and the character really fit her voice and she did a great job reading it.
  • The romance that starts to develop in the story between Sam and a friend was really sweet...It made me really wish that she didn't die at the end for his sake
What Did I Hate:
  • The drinking and drug use and sex that just seemed okay for teenagers--it really drove me crazy!
  • The necessity to repeat certain things word for word like 5x....I get twice...maybe 3....but seriously we get that the day is starting over yet again

1 comment:

Joanne said...

good review and from it I can see why kids are liking the book. They probably don't get annoyed by the repetition, and are up for any "adult" behaviors. Just visiting from the A to Z road trip. Have a good week