Thursday, July 3, 2014

Thirteen Reasons Why (Book Review)

Thirteen Reasons WhyTitle: Thirteen Reasons Why 
Author: Jay Asher
Genre: YA/Drama
Rating: 4 out of 5

Why Did I Read? I had it on my TBR Pile Challenge List, because it was one that my students read a lot and I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. And it often ends up on banned lists.

Summary: Clay is just your regular high school kid, until this set of cassette tapes show up at his door.  They were made by his friend Hannah, who had committed suicide recently.  On the first tape, we learn that she is going to go through the 13 people that she holds responsible for letting her down and contributing to the reasons why she decided to end her life.  These thirteen people will then receive these tapes, which means that Clay is one of the 13. What did he do to not help Hannah when she needed him the most?

What Did I Love:
  • I liked predicting what people did to her
  • Having empathy for Clay--I really connected to him as a character
  • Shows that suicide really can come from anywhere
  • I listened to it on audio...which was great for this type of book--I thoroughly enjoyed this
What Did I Hate:
  • By the end, I really felt like Hannah was a brat by the end of the whole book.
  • It almost seemed like she wanted help to not end her life...but she never tried--that bugged me.  

No comments: