It has been a very controversial ending, and I immediately thought of the fact that I didn't have an "H" when I saw it....so my opinion needed to go up on this blog. So here comes the next catch-up! WARNING! If for some reason you haven't seen it/don't want spoilers I will understand if you stop reading now.
Should it have ended with the mom dying?
Eh, not my favorite. It makes sense as to why she kind of seems like a distant memory the whole series. However, I did really like the mom and it was just too bad.
Should Ted have ended up with Robin?
I have been saying this for most of the series. I was crushed when they ended the pilot with....your Aunt Robin. I was really upset when they couldn't figure out how to make it work when they actually did have a real relationship. And honestly the kids are right...he does seem to spend a lot of time talking about her in the stories. And it does explain why they stay friends for so long.
HOWEVER--here is what I didn't like about the series finale:
- I had really gotten use to the Barney and Robin. I liked them as a couple. They tried, and failed--they could have just left it there. But then they persevered in the relationship--which makes us commit! They seemed to work and fit. It was nice to see Barney be more normal and Robin to be happy with someone. I HATED how they got divorced like 5 min. after the wedding. I mean really...we spent this entire season going through three days of them getting married at a snail's pace and then it is just gone in a second!
- Again....we spend the whole season in three days--and then a whole hour in like 20 years; some balance would have been nice
- The HORRIBLE editing job....which sounding like after reading a Josh Radnor interview...they actually filmed together...so then why did we have to have it like that?!
Things I Have Learned Since Watching
- The creators did keep writing the whole series...it wasn't like they left and came back to do the last few episodes. They didn't write each one the whole time anyway--but they were involved the whole time
- CBS has commissioned How I Met Your Dad---I don't know how I feel about this. If it like this article implies, the same idea just from mom's perspective--we know she dies at the end so what's the point.
- They had an alternate ending---and will put it on the DVD....might actually have to get that (I wasn't thinking this before because they are on Netflix)
- I read one article which told everyone who was mad to go back and watch the pilot...it will make more sense. I have now--and yes it actually does. I am now going to watch the whole series and see if it feels better at the end. We shall see.