Tuesday, April 1, 2014

A is for Allegiant: Book Review

So in my theme of catching up, there will be quite a few book reviews on this A to Z Challenge.  I have been trying to keep up with my reading, but I haven't kept up with blogging about them.  And a lot of these book reviews are books that I finished end of 2013 too, so yeah--when I stopped blogging, I also stopped writing about the books.  Sad day...but I am trying to fix that with this challenge (though I will admit...today it is tricky to get motivated to write).

So I actually finally finished Allegiant this past weekend after reading it for months--I started reading it when everything at work changed and it is really hard to find time to read a book.

Title: Allegiant
Author: Veronica Roth
Genre: Dystopian/YA Fiction
Rating: 4 out of 5

Why Did I Read? Well I read Divergent (see review here) and I read Insurgent (review to come on Day "I"). I really wanted to know how it ends. And I had heard interesting things about the ending. 

Summary: (Note if you haven't read the other two books, this might contain spoilers of those...they have become one long story to me.) We follow Tris and Tobias outside the fence to figure out what is out there and what they are suppose to do.  They are surprised when they learn the truth about their own existence.  Tris feels like she has walked into another world just like hers--will she change it or just let the status quo remain? 

What Did I Love: I loved how everything was explained in this book--that's why I have got all three of them in my head now.  She takes all of the loose ends from the first two books and really ties it all in a bow.  I actually really did like the big ending.  I won't say it here to avoid spoiling it for others--but I accidentally came across the ending to the story right before I finished the book.  And I actually wasn't too surprised, I kind of saw it coming.  I loved the theme of the book that really came out through the end and she had some great quotes and writing at the end. 

What Did I Hate: I really didn't like the perspective changes with the chapter changes.  I get why she did that now that I've read the whole book, I don't think she could have done it any other way.  But it was very disorienting and it took me awhile to get use to it.  Towards the end I would still see the character name at the chapter heading...read a few pages and then go back to the chapter heading to make sure I had the first person right.  I wonder if a third person would have made it better....I doubt it but that would have helped the confusion.

What did you think of Alleigant? I haven't seen the new movie yet, what did you think of that?
Allegiant novel cover.jpg
Thank you Wikipedia 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't read this. I'm sorry. I am in the middle of Insurgent right now.

Good luck on your za to Z posts

Jamie Dement (LadyJai)
Http://writebackwards.we3dements.com
Http://caringforaveteran.wordpress.com

Unknown said...

The students have really loved this trilogy!

Danny & Holly said...

I agree with you. I actually liked the ending as well. I thought it was grounded more in reality of what we expected from the characters, and not just what the readers would have wanted to read. I did the same thing with the change in perspective too, but I think I was okay with it than it sounds like you were.

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

I read the first, but haven't read the others. I did hear how the 3rd one ends though, so I'm less inclined to read them, even though I liked the first one.

Anonymous said...

Am in the process of reading Divergent at the moment, but I was glad to go and see the Pre-release of the film last night in the UK. Now I think I'll knuckle down and finish it.
Great starter to the A to Z Challenge. :)

Jemima Pett said...

I haven't read any of this series although the first is on my TBR list.
Have fun with the Challenge!
Jemima
#TeamDamyanti
Blogging from Alpha to Zulu in April!

Guilie Castillo said...

I'm not a big fan of sci-fi (or spec-fic or whatever it's called these days), so I haven't read any of these... But your review is making me second-guess myself. Maybe I'll give Divergent a chance. Before I see the movie, or it'll be ruined forever :D
Guilie @ Quiet Laughter