Wednesday, April 16, 2014

N is for Northanger Abbey Book Review

I finished Northanger Abbey a little while ago.  It is the next on the list of books to finish by Jane Austen.  It was also my completion of my book for the TBR Challenge (which I realized today that I forgot to do a check-in on....I started The Book Thief).

Northanger Abbey
Title: Northanger Abbey
Author: Jane Austen
Genre: Classics
Rating: 2 out of 5 stars

Why Did I Read? I want to get through all of Jane Austen's books. I have loved Pride and Prejudice and Emma. I liked Sense and Sensibility.  Mansfield Park has been a struggle...need to try it again at some point. 

Summary: This story is about Catherine Morland. She is apart of a large family and has the opportunity to go with some neighbors to Bath.  At Bath, she meets the Tilney and Thorpe families.  The story discusses the drama that occurs between the families, especially as she goes to stay with the Tilneys at Northanger Abbey.  

What Did I Love: When it started to pick up a bit more towards the end. 

What Did I Hate: So I don't usually give out 2s, but this book would make a good study of Victorian England and Gothic novels but that is about it.  It felt a lot like Austen was trying to be a newspaper columnist and explain her opinion on something.  She also seemed to really be mocking the novels idea. I was bored a lot, but it isn't horrible. 
  

No comments: