Friday, January 8, 2016

Book Review: Year of Yes by Shonda Rhimes/Bout of Books Day 5

Bout of Books Day 5 requires a day 4 update---I finished a book!  Here is my first book review of the year.

Title: Year of Yes
Author: Shonda Rhimes
Genre: Memoir/Self-Help
Rating: 5 out of 5

Why Did I Read? Honestly, it was a bit of an impulse. I love Grey's Anatomy, Scandal, Private Practice, and How to Get Away With Murder---all four TV shows she has done. As a result---I buy book because I'm curious what she has to say.

Summary: Shonda was the type of person who was shy, introspective, and addicted to her work.  She never said "yes" to anything that challenged her--which was almost everything.  She decides to start saying yes to everything.  What results is a complete change and renewal of the person that she wants/is/needs to be.  She goes through her year explaining her experiences, what she felt, did, and what she learned.

What Did I Love:
 How inspiring it was! I felt rejuvenated every time I listened to this book.  I did do the audio which Shonda reads herself--I loved that she did because she reads so beautifully. I could feel her passion, and honestly I felt like we were just having our little class every time I turned it on.  This is also a book that I want to read again and again.  I want to buy it in print now so I can mark it up and annotate it.  I very rarely say that! This is a book that I'm really wondering if I listen to when I have depression come up or I am feeling like I can't do life anymore.  This is one of those books that I feel like you could learn something new from each time you read or be reminded again of something that you knew you knew but needed someone to tell you again.  

What Did I Hate:  Honestly nothing....I love this book!

Thank you audible for this great quote wall paper
--now to figure out how to download it to my phone

No comments: