Sunday, February 24, 2013

A Quote Inspires a Mini-Rant

Our quote today is:

"This was another of our fears: that Life wouldn't turn out to be like Literature."--Julian Barnes, The Sense of an Ending

I mentioned yesterday that movies, TV shows, and books are all escapes from my life.  When I was little, I thought that I would get married to the perfect guy who would be romantic.  And then I got older and understood that nobody was perfect...but for some reason I didn't put that with the teaching movies that I enjoyed watching.  I thought that teachers were heroes and their students appreciated learning from them and worked hard and put in the effort.  I have learned very quickly that this is not exactly how it goes and I know in the back of my mind that I always knew that.

This weekend I have really been reminded that students will take the easy way out...every time--even the ones you don't expect.  Even though I have worked almost all weekend long, and I'm not even close---I wonder sometimes why we do it.

rosie odonnell meg ryan sleepless seattle movie 1993 photo
This whole thing reminds me of a great movie Sleepless in Seattle. At this point they say: "You don't want to be in love, you want to be in love in a movie." So I don't want to be a real teacher, I want to be a teacher in a movie. Thanks to http://www.snakkle.com/galleries/before-they-were-famous-stars-on-rosie-odonnells-50th-birthday-snakkle-celebrates-her-most-memorable-moments-photo-gallery-then-and-now/rosie-odonnell-meg-ryan-sleepless-seattle-movie-1993-photo-gc/ for the picture

No comments: