What did I love?
- Anne Hathaway's performance was superb. She really put a lot of emotion into her singing and was one of the best singers in the movie.
- Marius, played by Eddie Redmayne, was the best Marius I have ever seen! He sang everything beautifully.
- Eponine was awesome...but I knew that--Samantha Banks always does a great job
What did I not like?
- Sacha Baron Cohen made sense for the part on paper...but he really can't sing--and yes the Innkeeper's part isn't really written to sing...but it is suppose to be more sung than talked--and there is a part in the movie in which he said "Whatever" like we were in 2012--come on!
- Hugh Jackman did a great job overall...but during "Bring Him Home" my vocal cords were hurting--as I'm sure his were too...I wish they had done something about that
- And again Russell Crowe overall did a great job...but he kind of ruined the soliloquy he has near the beginning about the stars--though I am very partial to the Javert from the 25th anniversary edition
Overall, I had low expectations before the movie actually came out and then when I couldn't see it and couldn't see it and heard everybody loving it my expectations went WAY too high I think. I would own it...it is not the best I have ever seen but it is better than nothing--I will see it live any day.
Not a great video....it is def taped in a theatre...but this is my favorite "Stars" rendition by Norm Lewis (though not from the 25th anniversary edition)