Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Book Review: Sense and Sensibility


Title: Sense and Sensibility
Author: Jane Austen
Genre: Fiction/Classics
Rating: 3.5 out of 5

Why Did I Read This Book? It was the first novel that Jane Austen published, and I am trying to read all of her novels this year.

Summary: The story follows the family of the Dashwoods.  The father of the family dies, which leaves the mother and three sisters in an interesting bind.  They end up staying in a cottage on the land of with a distant relative.  At this cottage they met a variety of people that come to mean a lot to the family.  We follow their lives and learn of their pasts which ends up affecting their present. I don't want to give too much away, but there are a lot of love triangles to go with it all :) 

What Did I Love: The twists and turns of the love story were very entertaining.  It kept me on my toes the whole time.  I also liked how it fit with the title.  Some of the lovers have sense, but the good ones have sensibility.   

What Did I Hate: Soo many characters!!  You can tell that this is her first novel, because her writing style is not polished.  The biggest thing for me was the fact that I couldn't keep all of the characters apart easily until about halfway through because she refers to most of them by their last names.  And they give big speeches and you lose track of who is speaking.  By halfway through, I had really gotten to know the characters so I could tell the difference better...so it is not a complete deal breaker.

Sense and Sensibility: The Bath Bicentenary Edition (The Bath Bicentenary Editions of Jane Austen)
Courtesy of amazon.com

3 comments:

Sara said...

i love your blog that is so cool i have a blog too be friends again so chat with my Blog is SaracBaile@gmail.com i love to read your blog later i well

Mabel said...

I adore this book! It's my favorite by Austen so far -- but most people disagree with me. :-)

Unknown said...

Thanks for the comment Mabel. This is my fourth Austen book...and Emma is still my favorite but we'll have to see as I go through them all again what sticks out to me :)