Saturday, February 9, 2013

The Power of Productivity...Does It Work for Everyone?

I have seen two articles online this week about being more productive.  One from a blogger about how to be more productive instead of sitting around online all the time. The other is an op-ed in the New York Times from an author that apparently works as a business consultant to help them be more productive with their time.

I have been wanting to be better about my productivity too, which is probably why I actually read these articles instead of just skimming.  The common thing that I learned from these two articles is that we should work for short lengths of time, take a break, and then go back to what we were doing.  The other common thing was that they both recommend exercise.  

I agree that both things will work very well, but they are hard to put in place in the life I live and the job that I have.  The NY Times article talks about companies that have break rooms and long vacations, but that only works for your typical office environment.  When you work at a year round school, the students don't allow you to not have grading when you get back from vacation--in fact it is worse and makes it hard to leave. And you can't work for 90 minutes and then take an hour long break--what are the students suppose to do in the meantime?

The exercise thing makes sense, but it is hard to find the time when I have sometimes only a few hours to call my own--and maybe that's my fault because I am too busy and if I emptied my schedule I would have more time.  But even if I only work the 8 hours I am suppose to and come home with nothing that I "have" to do that night--I am too exhausted.  I would rather just sit down and do something else than hop on the treadmill.

So, I guess what I'm trying to say is that the articles are great places to look for ideas, but they are not universal and I am still back at square one. If anyone comes up with a universal idea...I would love to hear it.

Thank you http://en.loadtr.com/clock_-394568.htm for the picture

No comments: