Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Teachers Have the Best or Worst Job?

So...I am sure I have talked about this on here before but being a teacher can be really hard work but also very rewarding. In the last couple of days I have seen two articles from other people's perspectives/work about this very thing.

This first one was an op-ed piece from the Salt Lake Tribune written by an actual teacher in Salt Lake asking, "Why teach?"   Her big thing is all against testing...which I am BEYOND thankful that I really don't have to do.  Yet another reason to stay where I am.  But the point that she brings out is that we feel a lot of pressure as teachers...I get that at my own job.  She focuses on administrators and legislators but it's parents too.  We expect our kids to be geniuses--set the bar high but don't expect teachers to do all the work.  So how about we all give each other a break--it will be waaay good for our stress levels!!

Go read it here: http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/opinion/56010884-82/students-teachers-tests-teacher.html.csp

The second one was an article from the New York Times that reports the findings of a Gallup poll that looked at well-being.  They said, "teachers ranked above all other professions in answers to questions about whether they “smiled or laughed yesterday,” as well as whether they experienced happiness and enjoyment the day before the survey."  So this is how the article decides that maybe all of this disgruntled stuff is just hype. Well...this is what I have to say about that.  As teachers in order to keep going and keep moving forward we have to find the good in the day.  I try to actually consciously do that.  So yes we are going to try to find a way to smile or laugh--it is the nature of who we are.  So bottom line: you have to ask the right questions to get the hype that we will give you.  

Go read this article here: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/28/education/in-poll-on-well-being-teachers-rank-high.html?smid=tw-share&_r=0 

Cedar_Ridge_Academy_Therapeutic_Boarding_School
See even I found a reason to smile....and give out a trivia question.
Check it out on our Cedar Ridge Academy Facebook page

No comments: