Saturday, April 13, 2013

L is for Like

I saw lots of people were doing the word "love" today...so to be a little bit more original...I thought I would do the word like.  We use this word in a variety of ways.  Lets explore this today... :)

According to dictionary.com like means:

1.
of the same form, appearance, kind, character, amount, etc.: I cannot remember a like instance.
2.
corresponding or agreeing in general or in some noticeable respect; similar; analogous: drawing,painting, and like arts.
3.
bearing resemblance.
4.
Dialect likely'Tis like that he's gone mad.
5.
Dialect about: The poor chap seemed like to run away.
preposition
6.
in like manner with; similarly to; in the manner characteristic of: He works like a beaver.
7.
resembling (someone or something): He is just like his father. Your necklace is just like mine.
8.
characteristic of: It would be like him to forget our appointment.
9.
as if there is promise of; indicative of: It looks like rain.
10.
as if someone or something gives promise of being: She looks like a good prospect for the job.

It is also the only word that I am aware of that can be considered an adjective, preposition, noun, verb, and interjection. But seriously...we use this word for A LOT OF THINGS!! Like seriously :)

How many of us know a "valley girl" or a teenager that says "like" every other word...or it is there version of the word "um". Facebook has completely taken this word and made it a phrase like "Google it" specifically go "Like It".  

In addition, it is like the number one phrase at the beginning of a relationship...you don't want to say that "L" word so you end up asking...."Do you like me, like do you like me like me?"  See how I was able to do that..I used it four time in one sentence.

So....from all middle and high school teachers everywhere....lets get a thesaurus and come up with a different word. 

No comments: