Monday, April 22, 2013

S is for Social Studies


I currently teach English and Social Studies at my school...but my number on love is Social Studies.  I feel that it is really important for students to understand the world around them.  World Geography starts them off with a great foundation--you need to know where everything is!  World History continues this foundation by allowing us to explore how civilizations started/ended/interacted.  United States History gives us more information about the country that we live in, how our country came to be, and what still influences our present.  Government class gives us the ins and outs of how our government system works, other country's systems, how we participate, and what rights we have as citizens.  

I always tell my students that it doesn't matter if you remember all the dates of every little thing...what matters is that you get the big picture and know the important stuff! My biggest goal is that if Jay Leno comes up to them on "Jaywalk" they know the answers!  We are teaching people with productive citizens...and that is my main goal.

I am often asked, "What is your favorite part about Social Studies?"  My passion is US History and Government.  I love learning more about our country...it gives us a sense of identity.  I love the stories of the people who came before and set up the country that we lived in.  They learned a lot through mistakes--whether they did anything with them is for us to learn too!  

Did you enjoy Social Studies classes in school or did you absolutely hate it?

No comments: