Saturday, January 12, 2013

Book Review: The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian

Sherman Alexie

Again...finished at the end of last year and getting around to reviewing it.

Title: The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian
Author: Sherman Alexie
Genre: Young Adult Fiction
Rating: 2 out of 5 stars (explanation of ratings)

Why Did I Read?  Looking for a good book for an English class novel study.  I need a book that my students would be interested in, haven't read before (which is a trick), and appropriate for them being at a therapeutic boarding school--so bottom line it needs to be super clean. 

Summary: The story is about a teenage Indian boy named Arnold. Both of Arnold's parents are alcoholics which has caused his family life to be quite poor.  His future does not look that bright, but Arnold is actually quite smart for his age.  A teacher noticed that about him and encouraged him to go to the junior high just off the reservation.  Problem with that? He goes through some serious culture shock and rejection from his best friend.  

What Did I Love: Sherman Alexie has an amazing voice in his writing.  It really kept it in engaging for me.  Even though there were parts of the book that bugged me (see below), I finished it because of this writing.

What Did I Hate: So why did I give it such a low star rating?  It really isn't a bad book--but this teenage boy seems to think with his manhood quite a bit.  And talk about it too....which is never a book that I would recommend.  So the verdict...if you want to read this book know that going in but I wouldn't read it with a room full of inappropriate teenage boys and girls.

No comments: