Tuesday, January 22, 2013

English Teaching Strategy with "A Rose for Emily"

"A Rose for Emily" by William Faulkner is a great short story that I read with my English class today.  So why read a short story as a class together?

  1. It allows you to see a whole plot from start to finish in the whole class period.
  2. The students discover it together
  3. The teacher can focus in on how to approach a more difficult text in a smaller chunk.
  4. Focus in on a particular literary technique/term, grammar usage, etc.

The third choice was my biggest reason for doing a short story today.  My students do a lot of reading on their own with our more independent study style of academics  (Find out more about my school at Cedar Ridge Academy).  As a result, I spend a lot of my class time building tools for them to use on their own.

When choosing a short story for today, I wanted to choose one that would appeal to the wide audience of my students and hold their attention.  I remembered reading "A Rose for Emily" as a high school student myself.  If you haven't read it, it has an element of creepiness and mystery to it that I thought that they might get a kick out of.  As I re-read the story this time around, I also noticed that it also is a great example of what you can do with chronological ideas and point of view.  You could also do a lot on foreshadowing too.

So today, we reviewed the different types of point of view and how that can affect a story.  Then we read the story.  As we went, we talked about unfamiliar words--when do we look them up?  When do we not?  Can we figure it out with context? When we look the word up does it make sense?  We also talked about the story line and the students started to pick up on the little cues that the story gave us that it was hopping backward or forward in time.

Overall, I think this group really liked the story--they were shocked by the ending, just as I predicted. And hopefully they will remember a bit about point of view and dealing with unfamiliar words.

Thank you http://inthegoldroom.com/index.php/short-stories-literature-ebook-downloads-mobi-pdf-epub/a-rose-for-emily-william-faulkner-ebook-kindle-mobi-version/ for the picture

No comments: