Saturday, May 25, 2013

Day 25: Words

Today's prompt:
 Something someone told you about yourself that you'll never forget (good or bad)
Words can heal, hurt, and/or bring someone up. We are familiar with the phrase that the pen is mightier than  the sword.  This phrase should expand to even include lips moving to form words. Today I am going to tell you a story about when I was in fourth grade.  I had moved to St. Louis with my family and was attending a new school.  A new LDS temple was being built in the area, so the fact that I was LDS was very known everywhere.  I had quite a few friends that were Baptist.  I'm not sure how to explain this because I have never understood it, but some Baptists are prejudice against LDS people.  And I am not saying that all are...but you will find some--just like you will find very not nice LDS people.

One of these Baptist friends toward the end of the year was sitting with me at the cafeteria, and I am not sure how we got on this but she told me that she had grown up her whole life thinking that Mormons were these horrible people.  She then basically told me that I was the nicest Mormon she had ever met. This has always stuck with me. The biggest reason that this affected me was that I really didn't think I could have that big of an influence on someone.  To this day, I hope that her opinion of LDS people has evolved.

You never know the influence you have on people...and it is always cool when they tell you that you have.  Who have you had an influence on or who has had an influence on you?

No comments: