Monday, May 13, 2013

Day 13: An Apology

Today's prompt:
 Issue a public apology. This can be as funny or as serious or as creative as you want it to be.
Okay I feel like I say this every time....but really this one is the hardest one yet.  I have ZERO ideas in terms of what I could apologize for.  I am probably just really bad at apologizing because I know I'm really bad for saying that I'm wrong...

But when I first started thinking about the prompt my favorite movie came to mind---You've Got Mail.  After Kathleen meets Joe, she tells him that she meet a "bottom dweller" (which has to be said really slow and deliberate)...I feel like that relates to this apology thing.

Joe Fox: [writing to "Shopgirl"] Do you ever feel you've become the worst version of yourself? That a Pandora's box of all the secret, hateful parts - your arrogance, your spite, your condescension - has sprung open? Someone upsets you and instead of smiling and moving on, you zing them. "Hello, it's Mr Nasty." I'm sure you have no idea what I'm talking about. 
Kathleen Kelly: [writing to "NY152"] No, I know what you mean, and I'm completely jealous! What happens to me when I'm provoked is that I get tongue-tied and my mind goes blank. Then I spend all night tossing and turning trying to figure out what I should have said. What should I have said, for example, to a bottom dweller who recently belittled my existence? 
[stops and thinks
Kathleen Kelly: [writing] Nothing. Even now, days later, I can't figure it out. 
Joe Fox: [writing] Wouldn't it be wonderful if I could pass all my zingers to you? And then I would never behave badly and you could behave badly all the time, and we'd both be happy. But then, on the other hand, I must warn you that when you finally have the pleasure of saying the thing you mean to say at the moment you mean to say it, remorse inevitably follows. 
Sometimes we end up just saying whatever is on our minds...apologies should follow.  Ironically...she ends up being able to speak her mind to Joe in person later and then later writes:
Kathleen Kelly: [writing to "NY152"] I've been thinking about you. Last night I went to meet you, and you weren't there. I wish I knew why. I felt so foolish. And as I waited, someone else showed up: a man who has made my professional life a misery. And an amazing thing happened. I was able, for the first time in my life to say the exact thing I wanted to say at the exact moment I wanted to say it. And, of course, afterwards, I felt terrible, just as you said I would. I was cruel, and I'm never cruel. And even though I can hardly believe what I said mattered to this man - to him, I am just a bug to be crushed - but what if it did? No matter what he's done to me, there is no excuse for my behavior. Anyway, I so wanted to talk to you. I hope you have a good reason for not being there last night. You don't seem like the kind of person that would do something like that. The odd thing about this form of communication is you're more likely to talk about nothing than something. But I just want to say that all this nothing has meant more to me than so many... somethings. So, thanks. 
 So even though it is nice to get what we want to off our chest...it isn't great at the same time.  So once again You've Got Mail has taught us a life lesson ;)
Thank you bleubirddiary.blogspot.com 


No comments: