Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Book Review: 1984

As I mentioned in two other posts, I have been reading this with my students. I am glad that they seemed to really enjoy it.  I was worried that the ending might cause some of them to be so frustrated that they might get thrown off the book.  But actually they were just fine--and were able to have a great discussion about it on Friday.  I used the idea of the Fishbowl and some questions so that they would start the discussion and continue it on their own. Quite a few of them really enjoyed it and did very well. One of them was like--this is what its like in college right? And when I said yes....she got soo excited for college :)

Title: 1984
Author: George Orwell
Genre: Satire/Classic
Rating: 3 out of 5

Why Did I Read? For school

Summary: Winston Smith lives in the futuristic world of Oceania. This world is different because the government controls everything, including thoughts.  Winston wants to fight against the system, but can't really figure out how with Big Brother watching all the time. When he figures out a way, will he get caught?

What Did I Love? This time around I really liked the idea of the history messing....it is something that is very interesting to contemplate as a history teacher

What Did I Hate? The long diatribe from "the book" in the middle of part 2 and how I really feel like he starts to beat a dead horse with the satire stuff.

Quick note to fellow English teachers: there is a couple of sex scenes--they are not super bad...PG-13 tame. But I wouldn't use this book with just any class---know your students.

No comments: