Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Book Review: The Storyteller

This was the audio book that I finished this weekend.  I was so glad to-because this was a great book!

Title: The Storyteller
Author: Jodi Picoult
Genre: Historical Fiction
Rating: 5 out of 5

Why Did I Read? I read My Sister's Keeper by the same author, and when I saw it on the shelf as a possible audio book to listen to and I read the back--it sounded great!

Summary: This is actually a really tricky summary to write...because I walked in knowing nothing and it was kind of nice because I got to guess as I went along. So I am going to do a first on this blog....I am going to copy and paste Amazon's summary in because it is a good one:
Sage Singer is a baker. She works through the night, preparing the day’s breads and pastries, trying to escape a reality of loneliness, bad memories, and the shadow of her mother’s death. When Josef Weber, an elderly man in Sage’s grief support group, begins stopping by the bakery, they strike up an unlikely friendship. Despite their differences, they see in each other the hidden scars that others can’t, and they become companions. 

Everything changes on the day that Josef confesses a long-buried and shameful secret—one that nobody else in town would ever suspect—and asks Sage for an extraordinary favor. If she says yes, she faces not only moral repercussions, but potentially legal ones as well. With her own identity suddenly challenged, and the integrity of the closest friend she’s ever had clouded, Sage begins to question the assumptions and expectations she’s made about her life and her family. When does a moral choice become a moral imperative? And where does one draw the line between punishment and justice, forgiveness and mercy? 

In this searingly honest novel, Jodi Picoult gracefully explores the lengths we will go in order to protect our families and to keep the past from dictating the future.
See why I wanted to read it in the first place?  I will leave it historical fiction which will give you another clue without giving it away.

What Did I Love: The amazing story and lesson that this book teaches.  The imagery was spectacular--you feel like you were there with these characters-experiencing what they experienced.  The end was very good--ahh the whole thing was soo good--which is why it gets a 5! Might be the first book ever on this blog to get a 5...I'd half to look.

What Did I Hate: Nothing to hate...except for the fact that its over

Final note about the audio--I would HIGHLY recommend it.  The narrators--Fred Berman, Edoardo Ballerini, Suzanne Toren, Jennifer Ikeda, and Mozhan Mamo--did a fantastic job and I love how they all took a character and really read them. I really think the audio book really pushed this book over the top for me. It was spectacular.

P.S. Can I also say that I LOVE that I'm actually reading a book that came out in 2013--in 2013--this like never happens.

No comments: