Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Book Review: To Kill a Mockingbird

I finally finished this book!! I loved reading this again from start to finish...even though I started in July.

Title: To Kill a Mockingbird
Author: Harper Lee
Genre: Historical Fiction, Classic
Rating: 5 out of 5 (yep...it is rare but this book is awesome)

Why Did I Read? I started it with a read-along....and then I didn't get a chance to finish it. 

Summary: Told from the perspective of an adult Scout, she recounts the events of her childhood around the time her father took on the Robinson trial. It is an interesting time for the family as they deal with racism during the time of the Great Depression. We follow her and her brother, Jem, and their friend, Dill as they explore their world of Maycomb.  We are fascinated as they are with Boo Radley, the loner shut-in down the street. And we watch as their father, Atticus, makes fictional history sticking up for a black man. 

What Did I Love: I have loved this book ever since college.  I read it in high school--but it was just a story about some kid whose dad was a lawyer.  In college, I learned a lot about this book--and realized that though summaries are often all about the Robinson trial--probably because that's kind of the climax--most of the story is not the actual trial and you don't even really realize about the trial until way into the book. 

I also love how well this is written and how much Scout is an adult but not in the book.  Honestly, if you haven't read this book you need to!!


Front Cover
Interesting cover that I haven't seen before
http://books.google.com/books/about/To_Kill_a_Mockingbird.html?id=qx44AAAACAAJ

No comments: