Sunday, October 6, 2013

General Conference Part 2

Today was another great day of General Conference.  President Monson said in his talk this morning that this session was the most spiritually uplifting that he has ever been to.  Considering he is celebrating his 50 year anniversary of being a general authority that is saying a lot.  But I wholeheartedly agree!  Ever single talk in this morning's session was a serious favorite.  I was thinking as the session ended, "I am going to have a lot of trouble writing my blog post with just one speaker as a favorite."  But now that I'm sitting here writing..what's wrong with telling you why I liked everyone's talks?

Henry B. Eyring- He spoke about what choices will lead us to happiness. I loved this talk, because I feel like it is what I needed to hear this weekend.  Some days it is hard to put one foot in front of the other, but if I remember that I am working toward eternal life then it can get easier.  And if I remember to love my Heavenly Father, that will get me through.

Dallin H. Oaks- His talk really tied into President Eyring's in the fact that he said this: "Our ultimate priority should be to love the Lord."  He continued with talking about how the Plan of Happiness is for everyone, and I loved this quote too.
"Our understanding of God's plan and His doctrine gives us an eternal perspective." –Elder Dallin H. Oaks
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/128915608057076441/
Bonnie L. Oscarson- As the newly called Young Women General President, I was excited to hear her speak.  She talked about how conversion comes through living righteous lives.  I love how she reminded us that no one can be converted for you--we have to gain our own testimony.  The biggest way to gain our own testimony is to exercise faith and act on the commandments. She explained it so simply, it was great.

Richard J. Maynes- I can't wait to go back and re-read his talk because he had so many great analogies.  I loved how his really brought home the fact that we need our testimonies to have endurance and spiritual stamina.  We have to be in gospel shape, just like our physical bodies need to be in shape.

Richard G. Scott- He always seems to talk about the Atonement, and today was no exception.  My favorite take away quote from his talk was that "The Atonement brings personal strength to the children of God." But at the end he threw another great idea in there--which was to fill your life with service because Satan's temptations will lose their power as a result. How cool is that?!

Thomas S. Monson- As always, the great storyteller reminding us that our testimony, patience, and endurance can see us through trials.

"Whether it is the best of times or the worst of times, He is with us. He has promised that this will never change." –President Thomas S. Monson
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/128915608057076431/
This is my favorite Pinterest quote from this session for sure--as I continue to wonder if and when my pain will ever go away...I need this reminder that my Heavenly Father is always there for me and that won't ever go away.

The last session of conference is always bittersweet for me.  This session brought more great talks, but I think my favorite talks from this session were Neil L. Anderson's and David M. McConkie's.  Elder Anderson reminded all of the Church how important women are and how essential the priesthood is no matter our circumstances.  A lot of people have been talking about the "ordain women" movement, and the brethren really have heard it and I think tried to address it but Elder Anderson's was the most direct to me. And I loved this quote from him because it reminds us that we are all needed.

“As men and women, sisters and brothers, sons and daughters of God, we move forward together.” –Elder Neil L. Andersen
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/128915608057077649/
Finally, Brother McConkie spoke about the power of a teacher in the Church. The thing that stood out to me the most was the need to be spiritually prepared, not just prepared with my lesson.  It made so much sense the way that he explained how if we are prepared, the lesson will be more meaningful to the students. 

Overall, another great day of Conference and I am sad it is over.  Back to the daily grind of tomorrow :)

No comments: