Thursday, September 12, 2013

How has social media/blogging changed you?

So....I feel like I am way out of the blogging world.  I didn't realize that my good blog friend Jenni started a September blog challenge. I have been struggling for ideas to write about and wanting to just write--like Jenni.  So I really need to hop on this!!

So today's prompt: Discuss ways that blogging or social media has changed you.

The interesting thing is that I have been involved in social media since pretty much the beginning.  I like to tell my students that I was one of the original Facebook users when it was a college only group, you had to have a college e-mail to get on.  It was a great way to interact with friends after senior year had ended.  It has now morphed and moved around--but the addiction is still there.  We checked Facebook multiple times a day--and I check it at least once a day. And then there is the ridiculous games that I swore I would never get into and then I did.  So social media hasn't really changed me because my life was just forming when I got on--so much has it has added to my life and become a horrible waste of time.

However, it has changed my career--I do so much more social media marketing as a teacher than I ever thought.  And I really enjoy it--there is something about the desire to see who sees it, likes it, enjoys it, etc.  I have even contemplated leaving teaching to go into this full-time with a company.  I never would have thought that social media would become a marketing tool--but it is really a great way to get your brand out there.

With blogging, I am not sure how it has changed me.  I really started this to write, and write everyday. I had tried other blogs before, but none of them really had staying power like this one I want to keep. Actually thinking about my early blogs....that's kind of how I met my husband.  Gosh I hadn't thought of that until I was writing--great thing about blogging :) But yeah...the short version of this story is that I had a blog, and his roommate found it.  I started a conversation/acquaintance with the roommate, who lived in the same city as me and invited me to go bowling with him and some friends.  Brian happened to be there and you can say the rest is history. So actually blogging has really changed my life!

How has social media/blogging changed you?

Yep...blogging=marriage :P

No comments: