Thursday, September 19, 2013

My Dinner Party

Today's prompt from Blogtember asks for a creative writing story about a dinner party. This one is actually making me a bit nervous because I haven't ever written a creative writing post for this blog....so here goes nothing.

To say I was dreading the dinner party would be the understatement of the century. I was regretting even having invited everybody in the first place.  "Why did I think I could do this?" It was like a scene straight out of "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?"

The house started to fill with smoke as the pot started to overflow.  The milk had bubbled to the top and hit the burner and started to scald.  I quickly open the window over the sink to let the smoke escape.  I wanted to keeping the burning smell out of the house for my guests to arrive.  Everything needed to be perfect.  I grabbed the spoon for the pot, turned down the heat, and started to stir the milk down while adding the spices for a great Alfredo sauce to put over noodles and chicken.  At least I had picked something somewhat easy, who can mess up this? But honestly, if anyone can mess up something in the kitchen it would be me.

As I started to set the table for three, I found matching plates, cups, and silverware.  I turned the news on to hear the events of the day.  As the timer dinged, I went to taste the pasta to make sure it was done. With the appropriate texture, I poured the water out of the pot through the strainer. I put the pasta in a bowl, and pulled the chicken out of the skillet to put on a plate.  I double-checked the sauce as the doorbell rang.  "It's showtime!"

No comments: